Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mentor Session


What a fun day!  I was able to spend time today with a new teacher who knows a lot, but doesn't realize how much he knows.  We spent some time today discussing a student who has been a challenge for him.  Not the physically, mentally exhausting child; but the sweet, gentle kid who hasn't shown any any proclivities or interest in classroom activities.  What skills does this child have?  What tasks do you have this child work on? You know there is something in there, but how do you get it out?

I forgot how much I enjoy trying to figure out the puzzle!

When I asked the teacher what skills the child had, he said "I just don't know".  But when we got down to it, he did know.  He was able to brainstorm a few things that are strengths, as well as a few things that need to be addressed.  

By the time I left, he had a plan worked out on a few new tasks to create as well as a few new ideas for approaching 1:1 time and group times with the student. For our next session, we are going to tackle data collection. Can't wait to see what he does with his rediscovered knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment